Thursday, October 28, 2010

Step 40: Sarasota to Clearwater, FL

Sarasota & Clearwater, FL


My last morning in Sarasota was a bit hectic as my friend Marc, who was studying for his law school finals, frantically tried to make plans to pick me up from, or near Sarasota, to take me to Clearwater where I was going to a friend’s wedding. I really asked too much of Marc. I didn’t intend on making his life a living hell but somehow managed to non-the-less. Initially when plans are made of course they sound reasonable, but when it came down to it I should have known that his finals would be overwhelming him.


Sida and I started the day off by going to the gym and getting some energy out. Then we returned to the house, showered, had lunch and headed north. We were planning to meet Marc around 3pm at an outlet mall about 1/2 way between Sarasota & Clearwater. We got there a bit early so I did some window shopping and when Marc called I could easily sense the distress in his voice. After shuffling my luggage from Sida’s car to his, I said my goodbyes and thanks to Sida (Sida!! Thanks again so much for having me! It was great seeing you and Gary and spending some time. Lots of love!!) and then began a hopeless attempt at cheering Marc up. The poor thing was at the end of his rope and there I was mucking with his schedule.

site of Barb and Rohan's wedding


True to the friend he is, he attempted to apologize for his blatant stress and was as complimentary as ever. When we arrived at the location for the wedding he dropped me off with plans to go to the 24 hour Starbucks and study while I attended the wedding of Barb and Rohan. The wedding was being held on Clearwater beach and although I was certain I was in the right vicinity I couldn’t seem to find my way. There I was carrying a gigantic wedding package without a clue of where I was headed. Thank god I saw some other people who looked to be dressed for a wedding and when I asked them if they were there for Barb and Rohan they said yes and showed me the way.

the camera man

It was a gorgeous day; a day built just for such a sunset wedding on the beach. I assumed, when I decided to attend the wedding, that I would not know a single other person there besides the bride and groom. Much to my surprise, when I walked up to the small set of chairs along the beach there behind a video camera was R.A. (Robert Archibald) Beattie. R.A. and I grew up together in Aspen in the same class and had been pretty good friends throughout the years.

RA and I, having some fun with props.

I knew that he and Rohan were friends but had no idea he would be at the wedding-- I was so pleased that he was. We were among the few people to arrive early so we had time to catch up and it turns out he was living in Florida…in Winter Park (my college town) going to film school.

Here comes the bride


Soon enough Rohan arrived and I caught up with him a bit before getting to my real work. I had promised Barb that I would be her unofficial wedding photographer, so I sat down my bag and box and started snapping photos like mad. Throughout the service I never sat or stopped, and I got the shots the real photographer was apparently too lazy (or polite?) to get. It was such fun!


Saying the vows
I really loved one of the things the person who was running the ceremony said about commitment. Commitment is loving this person even while you know the faults and strengths of the person…but more importantly, commitment is when you continue loving the person regardless of the strengths and faults that come up later on that you have yet to discover about the person you stand opposite of. When you can stand together despite change --that proves a real commitment to your love.


So beautiful, Barb
After the wedding was over two other familiar faces appeared in my view finder, Megan Brilbeck and her boyfriend Ian. Barb, Megan, Ian, and I had all worked together at the Ritz Carlton in Aspen, that’s how I met Barb. Again I had no idea Megan would be there, but it was great to see her and have another familiar face to hang out with.

the flower girls


After the sun set and all the photos were taken we headed to a Yacht club for the reception. I checked in with Marc on his studies and he not only sounded stressed but exhausted. I quickly made a few rounds in the room and then sneaked outside and jumped in his car so we could head back to his place. It was great to be able to see a few old friends so unexpectedly and to be able to attend a friend’s wedding.


Barb and i at reception...bummer about the flash reflection.
One of the things I really had been so upset about missing while living in Japan were special events of friends and family. While in Japan I missed three of my best friend’s weddings: Ellen, Taylor, and Blake- I also missed my cousin’s funeral. Missing that kind of stuff is really tough when you are living abroad.

We got back to Marc’s apartment and both of us crashed into bed after I gave him a much needed massage. Marc…I’m so sorry I put you through that stress!! Love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment