Thursday, October 7, 2010

Step 30: Sarasota day 1

Sarasota Day 1:


The plan was for Leah to come down to Sarasota with me and stay for a night or two, but turns out she got a call from someone she worked for needing her to work on Ben Harper’s show that night. (Which by the way ended up to be quite a life changing event for her as she hit it off with one of Ben's guys and he is now her guy.) So, instead we woke up early, she drove me to Sarasota and dropped me off at my aunt Sida & uncle Gary's house.

Gary and Sida...a couple of clowns

Sida is my mom’s oldest sister in a family of four girls and one boy. Considering their far from idealistic upbringing the ‘Kenney’ children are full of laughter and in this particular family trait, Sida tops the chart. It’s weird to say this cause I can’t exactly explain it, but for me Sida really came to life when she moved to Florida. I don’t know if that is because I was older by then or because of other things; but in my memory their house in D.C. was always dark…was it the house or something else, I’m not sure. I always had fun in their old house there playing pool and such --but my memory of it is that it was so dark. But when they moved to Florida everything brightened up. Sunny outside, sunny inside and it wasn’t until she moved to Florida that I started to have some vague knowledge of just how funny and full of vitality she is.


When Leah and I arrived she of course invited Leah in and tried to get some food in her. When Leah left I was pumped full with some fresh fruit and yogurt and promptly shown our list for the day. Lists: another ‘Kenney’ trait. No rest for the weary; there’s always something to do. And today happened to by DERBY DAY…and not just any derby, the Kentucky Derby. And so we had quite a bit to do. Sida already had been cooking the day before and that morning but there were still things to pick up from the grocery and flowers to arrange and a house to prepare.


The Derby party was going to be held at my mom’s brother George’s house on Siesta Key so we had to get moving if we wanted to also fit some beach time in. So, after a shower and getting some stuff together we headed to the grocery store. Sida is one of those people who makes friends with everyone. We walked into the huge Publix grocery store and we couldn’t get far without hellos from someone either workers or other shoppers. Of course they all knew Sida and she called them all by name as well.

Always trying to make people laugh...her own laughter is contagious.

This is a characteristic I really respect in the few people who do it. Having worked in the hospitality industry for so long I know how good it feels when a guest calls you by name and treats you like a regular person, not just an employee there to serve you. It gives you so much more job satisfaction and enriches your own self worth. When we got to the check out Sida said hello to the teller and jokingly made sure to tell them exactly how she wanted the items bagged. Sida may not be one to sugar-coat her feelings, but there is no doubt that she has feelings for all the people in her life. Bluntness with feeling; another ‘Kenney’ trait.


After that we headed to uncle George’s house and dropped off all the stuff we had and assessed the readiness of the party. With things seeming to be somewhat under control we grabbled some of his beach stuff and drove to the Siesta Key Beach. Saturday morning…and we were lucky we only had to circle the parking lot 3 times before grabbing a spot. We dragged our stuff out onto the crowded white sand beach and found a spot. Siesta Key had become kinda my home beach during my time in Florida. Of all the beaches I have been to I have most frequented Siesta Key and most loved Siesta Key.


I can’t remember exactly when I first went there but I do believe it was a part of the reason I decided I wanted to go to college in Florida. Actually one of my mom’s other sister’s—Colleen—had been the first of her family to relocate from the northern east-coast to the Sarasota area. Her and her husband Al lived on Siesta Key for about 15 years before recently moving to Santa Fe just months before my 2010 trip there. Before I went to college in Florida we’d visited them and then during my time in college I often went there as well, so Siesta Key has a lot of memories for me and I definitely feel somewhat at home there.

The Kenney sisters, from left: My mom, Sida, Rose, Colleen. In Colleen's house on Siesta Key preparing for my cousin Kim's wedding.

One bit of news that Sida had informed me of was that in her nearly 10 year in Florida she had yet to go swimming in the ocean. WHAT!!!**## I couldn’t believe it! I was determined that I would get her in there. I recalled that my own mom has quite a few bad memories from childhood associated to her father and the ocean so I didn’t want to push it too hard. But at the same time I simply couldn’t bear the thought of someone living that close to one of the best beaches in the world and not enjoying it!


Luckily I didn’t have to push much at all --after ten minutes in the sun we were ready to get in the water. It’s bizarre when you are with family how in an instant you see bits of your mother, aunts, uncle, cousins, sister, and yourself all in one person. Yet there we were jumping over the waves squealing our head off with our arms flailing in the air. And I had to laugh, I couldn’t stop laughing. Once we got past the break we could relax and bob about a little and—having had a wave break over her head, her silver hair drenched—she looked to me with the face and joy of a child but with the wisdom of a woman who has lived quite a triumphant life. It was a wonderful feeling to be there with her.


After we had enough of the water we lay out in the sun and dried off. Then returned to George’s house for one more check on what else needed to be done. Once the new list was made we returned to her house to shower and get ready for the party. Dressed and ready to go, the three of us—Sida, Gary, and I—headed to the Derby party. We were among the first to arrive as was expected and we each attended to our particular job whether it be cutting, organizing, cleaning or whatnot.

The Kentucky Derby Party Table

Little by little guest in their Derby hats started to arrive and the waiting and wagering began. I don’t think anyone really cared who one the race, but mostly it was just an excuse to have a party. Entertaining/Partying: a true ‘Kenney’ joy.


Sida and I goofing off during the party (in my awesome San Francisco dress)

The most important race comes at the end of a long race day that lasts for hours and builds up to the final run…which lasts for only a brief minute or so. During this time we ate, of course people drank, watched the other races, scanned the papers for information on the different horses and jockeys and finally agreed on a pool betting system drawn from a hat…that’s how much we didn’t really care.

Gary consulting the race statistics

There was some truly fabulous people watching to be had at this party. Older Florida women seem to become one of two distinct types…either quite refined and classy or utterly classless. Both types were well represented here and it made the long wait to the big kick off all the more interesting to endure.

Fabulous darling!


When the final race shot rang off we all crowded around the 2 televisions and then poof, it was over. We all scanned the number we had pulled from the hat and divided the winnings between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.


And their off!!
My horse had come in 3rd and I think Sida’s had come in second. Considering she’d paid for both of ours she made a good return on her bet. People slowly started to trickle out and we cleaned up a bit, vowing to leave most of it for tomorrow.


The Derby Dude
Back at Sida and Gary’s we all settled down from the big day and said our good nights. Food, beach, family, friendly competition, and fun…not a bad way to start off my Sarasota time; not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment