My second week in Aspen wasn’t much different from the first. Hiking, Yoga, Sleeping, Cooking, Storage cleaning; I also helped my sister in her kindergarten classroom and my dad breakdown a tree, load it into his truck, and drive it to the dump. Aspen time flies by because it’s home. Aspen time flies by because it is all the things my body is accustomed to doing naturally and loves doing.
For the coming weekend my sister suggested we head to Moab. Moab…always a good idea; when Moab is on the offer table it’s almost impossible to turn down. My family started vacationing in the Moab area when I was maybe 6 years old or so. And through all the years of going there as a family, then going there with friends, then having friends live there and going to visit them I guess Moab has sorta become my go to escape.
![]() |
| A bit of yoga in the Needles section of Canyonlads National Park just outside of Moab |
Aspen people love Moab. I would bet that almost every weekend of the year there is at least one Aspen person in Moab --but usually more. Over spring break Aspen people bring in the majority of Moab revenue I would guess.
I love doing things with my sister and Rock. They are my best friends. Of course my sister has always been my best friend and I’ve always depended on her, looked to her for advice and dragged on her heals even when she fervently tried to kick me off. Rock, on the other hand, has won my trust over the last six years he has been with my sister. More and more I share things with him because I know that he will have a way of looking at things that no one else will and I really appreciate his opinion and friendship.
| Hiking with Jen/Kaya and Rock/Moby back in winter of 2007 |
That said, when I do things with them I have to attempt to throw out my ‘schedule maker’ personality and go with the flow. This isn’t always easy for me. When they showed up at my parent’s house on Saturday morning, basically at the time they said they would, I was quite shocked and pleased. We were headed to Moab with our camping gear and hiking shoes!
We arrived and first headed to my favorite camping area to save ourselves a spot before the weekend rush. Ken’s Lake; I love it there for a lot of reasons. The views of the La Sal Mountains are beautiful, if it gets too hot you can swim in the lake, it’s not too close to Moab but not too far away (10 miles), and easy to get to in any car. After finding a spot we set up our massive tent and headed back to town.
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/ken_s_lake.html
![]() |
| View from our campsite...a gorgeous! Can you spot the waterfall? |
We went to an area called Potash. The cliffs along the river and road edge through Potash are always lined with climbers of which I have been among in the past. Today we were headed to the hike which takes you to both Corona and Bowtie Arch. My sister and I have been doing this hike since the first times we came to Moab as kids with our parents. We alway played along the railroad tracks then and we still do now.http://climb-utah.com/Moab/corona.htm
![]() |
| Waiting for their destiny to come and run over them |
We keep doing this hike because it is a reasonable distance, fairly simple, with big rewards at the end. We took our time along the way; stopping to take many pictures and attempts to climb into little caves above the trail. It was hot. It felt good to be hot. This was the first time I’d been hot in 9 months. We sat against a rock in the shade and relaxed for a while once we reached the arches and then turned around and headed down.
![]() |
| Taking a rest along the trail |
Back in town it was about time for dinner and of course we had to go to the Moab Brewery…the best place in town. I fell in love with them years ago thanks to their spinach salad that comes with a side of their amazing jalapeño corn bread. I literally dream about the stuff.
http://www.themoabbrewery.com/menu.html
After dinner we walked from the brewery all through town doing some night shopping. Jen and I both bought silver rings, I bought new shorts and a top at a thrift shop, and we ended up relaxing over hot drinks at a café. We headed back to the campsite and were too tired for a campfire so got situated in the mega tent and were fast asleep.




No comments:
Post a Comment