Thursday, August 26, 2010

Step 14: Vegas to Aspen

Las Vegas  Aspen


We were tired when we woke up. We tried to extend our stay for 1 more night but the hotel was full. We tried to make a late checkout but they needed to get in the room to turn it over for the next guest. Internet was available in the room for $12 an hour…ridiculous…so I couldn’t look for another room for us to check into and calling around was too much hassle. So, we packed.

Once packed we decided to make use of every second until check out so we headed down to the pool. It was just opening and we scored some of the only lawn chairs in the sun. Two ladies pulled some chairs up next to us and soon (despite their cigarette smoking) we’d struck up a friendship with them. They were very interesting ladies. Both about Mom’s age or a little younger-- they were lesbians who loved to take their holidays in Vegas. One of the women had a family with a man when she was in her 20’s and her kids were about my age. They told us all about their lives, finding themselves, their beliefs; I shared book recommendations, life stories. It was a great morning chat!

After about an hour and 1/2 Mom and I went back to the room and grabbed our stuff. Back in the car Mom started the drive on 15 out of Las Vegas but about 40 minutes later confessed she was too tired to drive so I took over. Mom slept, I drove. Mom drove, I slept. And it went on like this for the next 10 hours. We stopped a few times for food, rest, and photos but we were both pretty ready to get back home.

View from Utah looking at the beautiful Mountains I call home

We rolled into 15 Lazy Glen at about 11pm, Friday April, 2nd.
This house was new to me. The address is the same as the address I’d grown up in since I was about 10 years old, but the house was different. Right before I’d left for Japan I saw the delivery of the 2 halves of my parent’s new home but I’d never seen it put together, furnished, or lived in. I had seen pictures and heard all about it, but no description had accurately described what luxury my parents had moved into. I am so happy for them! Their home is really a masterpiece!

Day before I left for Japan...Dennis, Mom, and Dad with the house last time I'd been at 15 Lazy Glen

My dad was there waiting for us and welcomed me home with tears; tears just like the ones he’d cried when he’d said goodbye to me 17 months ago. It was so wonderful to see him and feel his welcoming arms around me. Nica, my parent’s dog, was also happy to see me; but it reminded me of the recent loss of our other dog- Ragua- and I was sad to not have him there with us . We were exhausted and my parents settled me into the guest room. There no longer is a ‘my’ room in the house and that is a strange and somewhat sad thing to realize…even at 27 years old.
But I crawled into bed, and with familiar furnishings, familiar art work, and familiar smells all around me, I felt truly at home in my parents house and quickly fell into a peaceful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment